Monday, March 4, 2013

White House Dinner

My brother and I were invited to some kind of dinner at the White House.  Ronald Reagan was still President then.  He came out from his office in a bit of a huff.  There were two men standing off by themselves having a conversation.  The President apparently had some kind of grudge against them.  He pointed them out as he yelled at his son, "Get them the Hell out of here!", and then he stormed off and we didn't see him again.

Afterwards we all sat around the long table, and everyone talked about what a "crazy character" the President was, what a loose cannon.  But there was a nervousness in their voices and it was clear they were covering for him.  A wide tear streamed down his son's face as he tried to smile and explain, and I must confess that I found a peculiar fascination in seeing the most powerful man in the country's son doing something as intimate as crying in front of us, sincerely and openly. 

10 comments:

  1. From which I gather that President Reagan never had your vote? Assuming that dreams reflect one's waking political affiliations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was four when he was President, but, yeah, I don't know if I would have voted for him anyway.

      Delete
  2. I'm saving my Reagan vote for Jeb Bush, if not to purposely fuck with my fellow 'mericans, then to provide plenty of fodder for AR if the little prick ever did get elected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you should mention Jeb Bush. I was reading about that sinkhole in Florida that swallowed a Jeff Bush, and I was wondering if God was looking to smite someone and he accidentally got the wrong date and name. You know, he's like, "Crap! That was supposed to be JEB Bush back in 2000 before he helped fix that election." And really, the idea that God could make those kinds of little slip-ups, wouldn't that explain A LOT? ;D

      Delete
  3. Your remark that you were 4 when Reagan was President somewhat astonished me, as I was 19 when Eisenhower was still President.

    You have helped spark the idea for 2 new posts over on mine, the first being titled "Me and the Little Rock Nine". I don't know if you heard about them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, I've heard of Little Rock in Arkansas. Does that count?

      Delete
    2. Hardly, but I have a brief history lesson for you on the way.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing and thoughtful matter share with us. Must have to creative idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is quite an interesting dream! I'm no pro at interpretations...

    ReplyDelete